By Sue Curry Jones
According to closed session reports provided by Superintendent Dr. Nancy Lawler, on April 29 the Ava Board of Education met with Attorney Virginia Fry, of Husch Blackwell LLP, of Springfield, for legal advice, and no voting actions transpired.
On May 6, the board met again in closed session under the notice of legal actions. Lawler said a legal issue was discussed during the meeting; however, the board also filled job vacancies even though personnel was not listed on the meeting notice.
Board member Ron Wallace was absent for the May 6 meeting, and did not attend.
In the May 6 report, Lawler noted new hires and expanded job duties for personnel in the fall term, they were given as follows:
– Riley Jenkins, first year teacher, was hired as high school Social Studies teacher, and assistant to high school boys basketball;
– Casey Merrifield, first year teacher, was hired as the Alternative School Director. He is currently employed at Ava as the In-School Suspension (ISS) supervisor, a non-certified position;
– John Johnson, first year teacher, high school special education;
– Katy Chapman, high school volleyball assistant. Chapman currently teaches in the elementary.
– Ashley Forrest, middle school volleyball assistant. Forrest is currently a middle school teacher.
– Lynn Wilkes, sponsor of the elementary yearbook.
The regular monthly meeting of the school board is set for Thursday, May 19, 6:30 p.m. in the Board of Education meeting room.