Skip to content

Rowland Report 2.28.2013

Greetings from your State Capitol.  The forecast of winter weather prompted the leadership of the House to cancel Thursday’s session.  With the promise of freezing rain forecast for home, I headed that direction early on Wednesday after session.

The House took up three bills this week:

HB 55 authorizes an amnesty from the assessment or payment of all penalties, additions to tax, and interest on delinquencies of unpaid taxes administered by the Missouri Department of Revenue which occurred on or prior to December 31, 2012.  A taxpayer must apply for amnesty; pay the unpaid tax in full from August 1, 2013 to October 31, 2013; and agree to comply with state tax laws for the next eight years.

HB 202 would allow the University of Missouri extension councils to form extension districts made up of cooperating counties for the purpose of funding their programming.  A majority vote of each participating county would be required to form the district.  The extension district would also be allowed to submit a tax issue to the voters in the district if it was deemed necessary by the council members.

HCS HB 158 changes the laws regarding tax increment financing in areas where a majority of the property is located within an area affected by natural disaster.  This bill would help speed up the recovery of that area by allowing the governing bodies to issue tax increment financing to those whose properties were affected by the natural disaster.

I have received numerous contacts on HB 545 and I want to assure everyone that this bill will not be passed.  It is a direct assault on our 2nd Amendment rights.  I can only guess as to the reason for filing such a bill.

The scheduled meeting of the Douglas County Republicans for last Thursday night at the Ava Victory Academy was cancelled due to weather but the organizers state it will be rescheduled for a later date.

Hope the weather is better this coming week and we can get back to a normal schedule at the Capitol.

As always, it is a privilege to represent you in State Government.